PLAYPAUSE are excited to announce our second symposium, Immersion|Dissonance which will be taking place at the University of Birmingham on Wednesday 22nd May 2019. See below for information about the conference and this year’s call for papers.
PLAYPAUSE 2019 SYMPOSIUM – Wednesday 22nd May 2019, University of Birmingham, B15 2TT.
For our second annual symposium, PLAY/PAUSE is looking for papers that interrogate the continuum between immersion and dissonance within videogames and virtual reality. We therefore welcome papers from any disciplinary background that relate to (but are not limited to) the following topics:
- New immersive media (Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality)
- Embodiment and virtual environments
- Glitches and breaking immersion
- Flow and gaming expertise
- Identification and social gaming
- Constructed authenticity
- Queerness and the player body
- Detail, labour and the ‘crunch’
- Boredom and negative affects
Abstracts of no more than 250 words, along with a bibliography and short bio, should be sent to email@example.com by Friday 15th March 2019. We particularly welcome proposals from PGRs and early career researchers.